Ever since Lewis Hamilton announced his departure from Mercedes at the end of F1 2024, the Silver Arrows have been in the hunt for his replacement. Likes of Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz were heavily linked with the German-based outfit but the moves never looked to materialize.
Mercedes has now put an end to the speculations and announced the signing of Kimi Antonelli. Antonelli currently races in the F2 for Prema Racing and also serves as a reserve driver for Mercedes. The Italian will now be replacing Lewis Hamilton and partner George Russell from the next season.
“It is an amazing feeling to be announced as a Mercedes works driver alongside George for 2025. Reaching F1 is a dream I’ve had since I was a small boy”. Antonelli said.
“I want to thank the team for the support they’ve given me in my career so far and the faith they’ve shown in me. I am still learning a lot, but I feel ready for the opportunity. I will be focused on getting better and delivering the best possible results for the team”. he added.
Team boss Toto Wolff was quick to share his thoughts on the signing and was full of praise for both Antonelli and Russell “Our new line-up is perfect to open the next chapter in our story. It is also a testament to the strength of our junior program and our belief in home-grown talent. George has proved that he is one of the very best drivers in the world. He is not only fast, consistent, and determined, but has also developed into a strong leader within the team.” Wolff said.
“Kimi has consistently shown the talent and speed needed to compete at the very top of our sport. We know it will be another big step up, but he has impressed us in his F1 testing this year and we will be supporting him every step of the way in the learning process”. he added.
Big boots to fill.
Kimi Antonelli follows in the footsteps of Formula 1 royalty at Mercedes 👑 pic.twitter.com/42k2JY1kjA
— Formula 1 (@F1) August 31, 2024
Antonelli is currently 7th in the F2 Drivers Championships and he recently made an appearance for Mercedes in the FP1 of the ongoing Italian weekend. However, his first appearance was one to forget as he crashed his W15 in the early stages of the stint. As he apologized over the radio, he climbed out and walked away, to which team boss Toto Wolff responded, “Kimi, it’s all good.”
The arrival of Antonelli marks a new era for Mercedes and as replacing Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes will be a massive challenge, the rookie will be eager to make a mark and establish himself in the F1.
Read More: Williams Drop the Only American F1 Driver; Replacement Ready for Italian GP
Mohd Faisal Hakak is a sports author from Kashmir. He likes to keep tabs on the sporting world with a keen interest in football, motorsports, NBA, and other marquee sports. He is a science graduate from Islamia College Srinagar.